Saturday, February 6, 2010

The 2010 January Birthdays!!

WooHoo the 2010 January Birthdays are over!! As some of you may know January is the birthday month in our household with Isabela's on the 12th, Rhianna's on the 16th and Andrew's on the 18th. We are done with birthday fun and excitement until June!

When the kids were younger we had what we called birthday weekend. Somebody would take Friday night, another Saturday afternoon or evening and the other would get Sunday afternoon. Makes for a crazy and wild weekend but done all at once and we weren't dragging parties on for weekends that the relatives had to fill their schedules with. Mark off that whole weekend and we are done!

As the kids have gotten older and wiser to my strategies for no sleepovers ( DARN ) things have changed. With Andrew all over the country training for his Army career and the girls more interested in having a couple of special friends over versus the everybody in the class coming idea we have simplified quite a bit. In many ways I actually miss it.

This year was very simple and casual. The girls each had a couple of friends join us for pizza and cake ahead of time and then we headed to a local movie theater, Round Lake Regal Cinema, to hangout in the birthday party room and see Avatar 3D. Originally we were going to open presents and eat cake at the theater, hence the party room, but the cakes seemed to be cumbersome (see pics below and you'll understand) and we were running behind schedule. Imagine that six teenage girls running behind! HA! Anyway we got there had some drinks (and no not that kind but don't I wish) and they took our orders for treats. We then were seated in our reserved seats and watched the movie. Wow what a movie! Afterwards we dropped the guests off and headed home for a good nights sleep.

May sound boring but it was tons of fun and the girls have asked to do it again that way next year. I told them I didn't have a problem with that. The price was certainly right! The theatre tickets were $14.75 each kid and that included one of those kiddie combos of drink, popcorn and gummies. Two adult tickets were included so Wayne and I didn't have to pay. Then the party room was an additional $25 and you could choose from two times 12-4pm or 6-10pm. We choose the later and the room included pitchers of pop refilled as we wanted plus they kept the door locked and we left our coats and stuff in there. We would have taken more advantage of it except the movie we choose was a three hour epic! Oh well! The staff was great and I highly recommend checking it out. I can't promise that every Regal Cinema is this way but I'll be headed to the Round Lake one again for my movie needs!

Anyway, I didn't get many pictures but here are a few. Mostly of the cakes I put together at the girls' requests. Yes two cakes because, ya know, we can't share one! It was my first time working with fondant all over the cakes. I got a lot of tips and some decorations from my dear friend Joyce. Thanks Joyce! A wonderfully talented women! So I hope you can't see my oops in the pictures but that the pics are good enough for you to see the detail. I think they turned out very well considering all the bad words I said. And most importantly the girls loved them!

So on to June and the next birthday!
Rhianna's cake was a "box of chocolates". Silly me should have taken the pictures BEFORE I pierced the cake with candles.
Hand made the rose candies. Nick really liked them!
Isa's castle cake. Had to take several pics to get all the angles. And again should've taken the pictures BEFORE I stuck all the candles in. Hard to tell what's cake decoration and what's candle. Also hard to put 14 candles in that cake!
A little pathway to the castle entrance and ivy trailing everywhere and covering my goofs...
A beaming Isabela - she LOVED the cake!
Rhianna being goofy for the camera but she LOVED her cake too! I think she liked the chocolate candy best though!
Blew out all 13 in one blow and then... one of those stinkers lite back up. Didn't realize I'd grabbed one of the relighters out of the BDay candle box. Boy was Rhianna ticked at me!
Look at that glow from those candles!! It only gets worse from here Isa!
Isa didn't get hers all in one blow. ;)
Enjoying cake and just hanging out...

No comments:

Post a Comment